Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 5

53 Miles, 1,500'
Nice to have an "easy" day. Started out in very overcast, dark gray skies, temp around 58. Shortly we rode through what I'll call "heavy, wet drizzle" so we can keep our rain-free streak going. The first half was up and down, in and out, on the coast, and once again the scenery was amazing, Kauai-ish. We pulled into the appropiately-named Greymouth (describes the sky) for lunch and a beer at a cafe. (last couple days it was SB at our picnic lunches).
The after-lunch ride to Hokitika was not so pleasant; too many cars/trucks, flat riding. But it was easy and fast with a small tailwind.
Insect report: the notorious west-coast sand-flies made their first appearance on Lewis Pass, welcoming us at first chance. They haven't been too bad yet, only a couple bites. We have some nasty deet stuff to keep them at bay. Also, I was stung a couple days ago on my left quad (through the bike shorts) by what I'm guessing was a wasp. It's still swolen and tender, with a 4" red spot.





And, black swans:

3 comments:

  1. where's the pic of the sting? congrats on staying dry

    ReplyDelete
  2. black swan.... gorgeous! ick, glad i'm not around for all those bugs though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you plan to ride Haast Pass. Very nice
    ascent from that side (I drove it the opposite
    direction). Pretty country on the other side. Looking forward to where you go. I was there (driving) in Jan. Rod

    ReplyDelete